Friday, December 4, 2009

Another Day Older and Deeper in Debt.

Just celebrated my 74th birthday. I am the living example of that old adage, “If I’d known I would live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”

I have always been a Thanksgiving baby.. It has been fun to tie my birthday in with Thanksgiving and I make no secret that I love presents.. any presents. No matter the size. And since we are feeding the clan, they have to show up and only a fool would show up without a present for Ned.

My mother always told me that I was born a few hours after the Thanksgiving dinner. She said she had to leave the table and head for the hospital. We have always celebrated the two events together.. Been doing that all my life.
One day last year, while playing around on the computer, I put my birth date into a program that would tell you which day of the week you were born on. I never should have done that. Turns out I was born on a Monday. I found out that my mom had fibbed to me all those years.

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs came out when I was a month old, It was the same year that Fibber McGee and Molly and Dick Tracy debuted. Amelia Earhart was the first woman to fly solo from Hawaii to California.

Babe Ruth hit his 714th and last home run at Forbes Field in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, Alcoholics Anonymous was founded in Akron, Ohio and the United States Social Security Act was enacted. And of course, Hitler was running around Europe, waving his new flag.

And that was the year Anna Decker told her little boy he was born on Thanksgiving day.. That was in the middle of the great depression and I guess it was easier to stick a candle in the pumpkin pie and sing happy birthday than have a special cake.

You know, come to think of it, my sister, Nan was born the Monday after Easter and nobody ever called her an Easter Baby. But little Eddie was stuck with a fib for over 70 years. Bitter? Nope.. I’m still a Thanksgiving birthday boy! Gonna do it again tomorrow. Old habits are hard to change. You can’t teach an old dog new tricks..

Some wise sage once said “Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.”

No comments:

Post a Comment